Architecture and design of the Central Cinema of Cartagena.
The IDEA Architecture team presented a proposal for the refurbishment of the Central Cinema in Cartagena.
The proposal is put forward with the clear intention of restoring the cultural and recreational value of the space of the old “Gran Salón Sport” and to provide the city of Cartagena and the Region of Murcia with an accessible, ergonomic, comfortable and attractive public space for exchanging knowledge and culture. The proposed intervention adapts and delicately recovers part of the original building of the “Gran Salón”, implementing new technologies in the architectural design and providing it with an innovative, differentiating and metabolic character, continuing the approach of our previous projects.
The project is based on high efficiency criteria to reduce energy consumption, minimise the generation of waste and promote its energy recovery, promote the use of non-conventional water sources (rainwater, greywater etc.) and produce energy from renewable sources, among other strategies to reduce emissions and achieve greater energy autonomy.
Reducing the energy demand of existing buildings is a matter of the utmost urgency
- Pedestrianisation of three streets bordering the Plaza de la Merced
- Recovery of elements and features of the façade of the Gran Salón Sport.
- Transformation of the seating area into a large open-plan space
- The building adjacent to the old Central Cinema is resolved by designing a central piece that compresses the entire dense programme, thus freeing the floors of partitions and allowing the rooms to house multiple functionalities.
- The concept is to have the roof take the form of a solar chimney. Forced natural extraction by heating the air inside a vertical duct, enhancing air renewal and cooling
A testimony to industrial brick architecture, to the history of cinema in Spain and a key element in the sentimental and emotional history of the people of Cartagena.
We pursue the philosophy of designing a cleaner and more self-sufficient city model.
A hybrid and multifunctional space
Is proposed that enhances versatility and the development of different simultaneous activities. The coexistence of different events and occurrences does not distort the main character of the group of buildings. The projections and the cinema characterise the identity of the new centre, as it is the oldest remaining building in the Region of Murcia dedicated to the exhibition of films. The Central Cinema was always a very important meeting point in the city of Cartagena.